dimanche 6 décembre 2020

We are okay | Nina Lacour



Résumé : 

You go through life thinking there’s so much you need…

Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother.

Marin hasn’t spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend, Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she’s tried to outrun. Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visit, and Marin will be forced to face everything that’s been left unsaid and finally confront the loneliness that has made a home in her heart.

Voici une traduction personnelle du résumé ci-dessus :

TRADUCTION A VENIR


Extrait : 

BEFORE HANNAH LEFT, she asked if I was sure I’d be okay. She had already waited an hour past when the doors were closed for winter break, until everyone but the custodians were gone. She had folded a load of laundry, written an email, searched her massive psychology textbook for answers to the final exam questions to see if she had gotten them right. She had run out of ways to fill time, so when I said, “Yes, I’ll be fine,” she had nothing left to do except try to believe me.

I helped her carry a bag downstairs. She gave me a hug, tight and official, and said, “We’ll be back from my aunt’s on the twenty-eighth. Take the train down and we’ll go to shows.”

I said yes, not knowing if I meant it. When I returned to our room, I found she’d snuck a sealed envelope onto my pillow.

And now I’m alone in the building, staring at my name written in Hannah’s pretty cursive, trying to not let this tiny object undo me.

I have a thing about envelopes, I guess. I don’t want to open it. I don’t really even want to touch it, but I keep telling myself that it will only be something nice. A Christmas card. Maybe with a special message inside, maybe with nothing but a signature. Whatever it is, it will be harmless.

The dorms are closed for the monthlong semester break, but my adviser helped me arrange to stay here. The administration wasn’t happy about it. Don’t you have any family? they kept asking. What about friends you can stay with? This is where I live now, I told them. Where I will live until I graduate. Eventually, they surrendered. A note from the Residential Services Manager appeared under my door a couple days ago, saying the groundskeeper would be here throughout the holiday, giving me his contact information. Anything at all, she wrote. Contact him if you need anything at all.

Things I need: The California sunshine. A more convincing smile.

Voici une traduction personnelle de l'extrait ci-dessus :

TRADUCTION A VENIR 

Extrait du chapitre 1


Mon avis : 

Je m'attendais à aimer un peu plus ce roman mais étant donné que c'est du contemporain et que c'est généralement pas du tout ma tasse de thé, on va dire que c'est déjà pas mal. 

J'ai eu quelques impressions de longueurs et j'avais un peu de mal à voir où l'intrigue allait nous mener. Je dirais que c'est un roman assez contemplatif car il n'y pas vraiment d'actions, on est très centré sur les pensées et les sentiments plutôt noirs du personnage principal, Marin. J'ai plutôt aimé l'ambiance créé par les sentiments de cette fille qui a clairement vécu quelque chose qui l'a complètement chamboulée et qui l'a poussée à rompre tout lien avec sa vie avant l'université. 

C'est définitivement un roman triste et pesant car on aborde les thématiques du deuil et des mensonges. J'ai été très surprise par les révélations et j'ai constamment eu peur qu'il y ait quelque chose d'encore plus dur et perturbant nous attendant au tournant. C'est sombre mais c'est important et c'est bien traité. 

Je n'ai malheureusement pas vraiment réussi à m'attacher pleinement aux personnages, malgré le fait qu'ils m'aient semblé être bien construits et pas dénués de travail. 

A contrario, j'ai beaucoup apprécié que l'autrice apporte de la diversité : certains personnages font partie de la communauté LGBTQ+, tout comme l'autrice ! C'est donc un roman ownvoice, et ça c'est toujours chouette !

J'ai adoré la fin. J'ai versé ma petite larme parce que, vraiment, beaucoup trop d'émotions. Et après un roman globalement sombre, dur, et qui prend tout de même un peu aux tripes, une telle fin c'est une vraie bouffée d'amour et d'espoir. 

J'ai bien aimé la prose de l'autrice, que j'ai trouvé très poétique. L'autrice a vraiment su créer une ambiance qui colle avec le moral de son personnage principal. 

Au final, je pense que le genre principal de ce livre n'est tout simplement pas fait pour moi, mais je suis certaine qu'il saura tout de même ravir un public plus "contemporary-friendly'. 


Ma note :

15/20


Infos complémentaires :

Genre : Contemporain, Young Adult
Editions : Dutton
Date de parution : 2017
Nombre de pages : 240

Une version française existe aux éditions Hugo & Cie (New way), traduite par Pauline Vidal, sous le titre Tout va bien (2020).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire