dimanche 6 décembre 2020

Punching the Air | Ibi Zoboi et Yusef Salaam

 

Résumé : 

The story that I thought
was my life
didn’t start on the day
I was born

Amal Shahid has always been an artist and a poet. But even in a diverse art school, he’s seen as disruptive and unmotivated by a biased system. Then one fateful night, an altercation in a gentrifying neighborhood escalates into tragedy. “Boys just being boys” turns out to be true only when those boys are white.

The story that I think
will be my life
starts today

Suddenly, at just sixteen years old, Amal’s bright future is upended: he is convicted of a crime he didn’t commit and sent to prison. Despair and rage almost sink him until he turns to the refuge of his words, his art. This never should have been his story. But can he change it?

With spellbinding lyricism, award-winning author Ibi Zoboi and prison reform activist Yusef Salaam tell a moving and deeply profound story about how one boy is able to maintain his humanity and fight for the truth, in a system designed to strip him of both.

Voici une traduction personnelle du résumé ci-dessus :

TRADUCTION A VENIR 


Extrait : 

Umi gave birth to me

at home
She has a video
and every birthday
she makes me watch

When I was little
I would run away

Umi would laugh and say
Come here, boy
You gotta remember
where you came from!

She’d chase me around
that small apartment
and I’d cover my eyes and
pretend to be gagging
That’s nasty, Mama, I’d say

That’s life, Amal
You have to respect it
she’d say

Umi was in this inflatable pool
in the middle of our living room
with the midwife next to her
My father was holding the camera

She was taking deep fire breaths
eyes closed tight, not even screaming
almost praying
Then the midwife plunged
both her hands into the pool

Voici une traduction personnelle de l'extrait ci-dessus :

TRADUCTION A VENIR 

Extrait de Birth


Mon avis : 

AVIS A VENIR


Ma note :

18/20


Infos complémentaires :

Genre : Poésie, Contemporain, Young Adult
Editions : Balzer + Bray
Date de parution : 2020
Nombre de pages : 400

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire